Energy-efficient family home – for a family with lots of energy.
This growing family raising 3 boys in Northbrook needed a home that could handle mud and sports equipment as easily as it could a houseful of dinner guests. Collaboratively designed and custom-built by our team, this house has every thoughtful detail a busy family of five (and their dog) could imagine.
- The front entry and stair were designed to face east and south so they are flooded with light all day long.
- Above and adjacent to the stair hall is the most fabulous laundry room we’ve ever built. With treetop views like this….laundry is no longer a chore and time spent in this space is savored and enjoyed.
- Rinsing dirty dishes is a snap in the 42”(!) custom stainless steel sink that we designed and fabricated as the centerpiece of a 10-foot walnut-topped kitchen island. To protect the wood top, the faucet was mounted on the enlarged rear sink rim.
- The large, sunny breakfast room comfortably and frequently accommodates baseball teams for post-win celebrations.
- An efficient (and well-stocked!) bar connects the kitchen and dining room for added serving space.
- And finally – our best space in the house: the “porch.” What started in design as a screened porch developed into a heated, four-season gathering space for neighbors and friends to enjoy fires in the winter, grilling year-round and dining al fresco. 12’ openings created by two sets of accordion-style doors cool the space and allow for access to the driveway/sport court and back yard.
Green Construction Techniques
While this house is generously apportioned, it also is extremely energy-efficient. The handsome, standing seam metal roof and half-round gutters will last for generations with no need for replacement. To help reduce energy consumption, we filled the walls and roof with foam insulation and installed double insulated windows that keep the house cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Though, mostly, the family will be out on the porch enjoying each season as it comes!
Photography: Van Inwegen Digital Arts
– – –
Save this to your Ideabook on Houzz